I want to row across the Irish sea from Anglesey to Dublin. I have no boat yet and not much of an idea of the technicalities. There will be two of us doing it so I have some support.
- I am a complete novice when it comes to adventure and I've never rowed on the open sea nor have I sea kayaked before.
- I am looking for support with finding a boat to rent (I'm looking at sea kayaking as well) and
- the equipment needed to have a safe crosssing and make sure I stay away from the ferry lanes.
- I want advice on what kind of practice I need for such a journey (how many hours kayaking/rowing)
- what it takes to work with the instrumentation, e.g. do I need a walkie talkie? GPS? Other equipment?
- How much might it all cost me?
- Are there any people out there willing to lend me gear/support for the journey?
This is part of a bigger journey which is my walk is from Manchester, UK to Dingle in Ireland. The sea crossing is part of a 400 mile walk home in memory of my sister who had severe cerebral palsy. I plan to raise £50k through this walk. Here's a 2 minute vid about the walk which will help you understand it a bit better https://vimeo.com/154663235 . And the website walkforaoife.com
Any support would be gratefully received.
Best wishes, Alan firstname.lastname@example.org