Outdoor First Aid Training Course
Saturday 10th - Sunday 11th November 2018
If you're looking to be more confident in the outdoors, would like to know what to do in an emergency or simply looking to revalidate your first aid qualification for NGB awards, this hands-on EC training course delivering the ITC 16hr Certificate in Outdoor First Aid (Level 3) is perfect for you.
This qualification is designed to meet the needs of those working away from immediate assistance (more than 30 mins) in the remote and rural regions of the UK and is externally regulated meeting the standards to appear upon the national qualifications frameworks of England and Wales. This course is recognised throughout the UK and is the course of choice for experienced practitioners who use the outdoors.
It is suitable for workers in rural and remote settings and will maintain the license to practice for those with Outdoor National Governing Body Instructor awards. The course meets the requirements for the Outdoor First Aid Training Framework at Standard 3. This framework is hosted upon the Institute for Outdoor Learning website.
Topics include roles & responsibilities, dealing with collapse (with and without breathing), choking, bleeding, shock, major illnesses, torso and limb injuries, environmental effects, heat and cold injuries, using first aid kit, outdoor specific scenarios and outdoor incident management, answering queries such as when or how to remove boots, helmets and looking after a casualty for some hours.
This qualification is designed to provide outdoor incident management skills. Typical delivery methods are predominantly practical, with elements occurring out of doors in outdoor clothing and on various terrains. The course is assessed by continual observation of candidate performance.
Your training is delivered by experienced trainers with an active professional interest in first aid training, coming from a variety of working backgrounds understanding the specific needs of various outdoor environments. Trainers typically have a professional background in outdoor developmental work or be active practitioner. We are constantly updating their methods and materials keeping abreast of current best practice from around the world. Trainers typically have knowledge of your workplace and follow Health and Safety approved code of practice guidelines.
Successful completion will result in you gaining ITC Level 3 Award in Outdoor First Aid with a valid (licence to practice) lifetime of 3 years from date of completion.
- Vital Signs - breathing, level of consciousness, temperature, colour
- Incident Management - a systematic approach to managing first aid incidents
- Airway Management - causes and treatment of unconscious collapse
- Breathing Problems - choking
- Circulation Problems - Internal bleeding, external bleeding and treatment for shock
- Treatment of injury - head, spine, chest, abdomen, pelvis, leg & arm and remote improvisation techniques
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and Drowning
- Hypothermia and Hyperthermia
- Common Illnesses - angina, heart attack, asthma, diabetes and epilepsy
- Awareness of current regulations
- Safe best practice
The course is two days long and will start at 09.00 on Saturday 24 February at the Benjamin Perry Boathouse in central Bristol (postcode BS1 6TJ) and end at around 17:00 on Sunday 25 February.
The boathouse has one large hall which we will be using for teaching the course, but it also has a kitchen, fridge, toilets and showers for each gender. If you bring your own mat and sleeping bag you're welcome to 'camp out' on the hall floor overnight on Saturday night for just £5 (payable on arrival)! However if you would rather have a bed for the night we can also provide a list of recommended places to stay in Bristol.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you'd like to stay on the floor of the boathouse or if you'd like a list of accommodation options.
No meals are included so you'll need to bring your own food and snacks for the breaks (you can store it in the fridge at the boathouse) or cash to buy your food when you're there. There will be regular, short breaks and also longer breaks for you to get more substantial food.
It's probably best to at least bring your own breakfast so you don't have to worry about time constraints in the morning. There is a Co-op supermarket about 10 minutes walks from the boathouse on Redcliff Street or you might fancy going across the bridge to the harbourside.
- 2 full days’ Outdoor First Aid Training with 16 hours contact time
- Regular breaks and opportunities for discussion with the course leader
- ITC Level 3 Award Certificate in Outdoor First Aid with a valid (licence to practice) lifetime of 3 years from date of completion
- Discounted earlybird price for EC CLUB Members - £139 (if booked and paid before 10 August 2018)
- Discounted earlybird price for non EC CLUB Members - £149 (if booked and paid before 10 August 2018)
- Standard price for EC CLUB Members - £149
- Standard price for non EC CLUB Members - £159
Please note you'll need to pay in full as this is a pre-booked course.
There are ONLY 12 SPACES on this course so book now to avoid disappointment!
If you'd like to know more about this weekend or have a particular question about this or any of our adventures, please email email@example.com or call the office on 0117 405 7497 during normal office hours and we'll do our best to help you.