Expedition Leadership Course
Saturday 14th - Sunday 15th April 2018
Sorry, this course is now fully booked but you can still add yourself to the waiting list and be automatically notified if a place becomes available.
Join other like-minded people on a two-day course learning the hard and soft skills needed to lead expeditions and get a job in the expedition industry.
The training course is designed to be a launch pad - by the end you'll have gained vital new skills and also be more informed about the next steps to take to deliver your own expeditions from start to finish. We're expecting that you'll already have an interest in and be active in the outdoors (either professionally or personally) however as for every EC adventure no particular experience is necessary, just an open mind and appetite for learning!
The course is particularly designed for:
- People who want to lead their own expeditions or overseas fieldwork projects (professionally or personally)
- Leaders who have worked in the outdoors (e.g. military or outdoor education) and want to move across into expedition work
- People who have participated in an expedition as a team member and are interested in getting to the next stage
- Anyone who wants to develop their expedition skills
The course covers the following major areas:
- Expedition planning
- Expedition leadership
- Working in the expedition industry
- Connecting to sponsors and the media
- Meeting others in your position
We'll start by learning about the theory and logistics of organising and leading an expedition and you'll be taken through all the necessary steps, from making an initial plan on paper to applying and executing your ideas actively in the field. We'll look at the main documents which make up the core of any expedition plan, such as the Risk Assessment and the Crisis Management Plan. We will also look at other essential considerations such as food and kit provisioning, and using real-life interactive demonstrations we will learn about dynamic safety management to help you keep calm when you're out in the wilderness.
The course is structured around both scenario-based and practical exercises to look at the soft skills which are vital in leading and organising expeditions. We'll examine and learn about different styles of leadership and their appropriateness to various expedition types. In addition we'll also look at making the most of opportunities in the expedition industry and go through the options for qualifications, training and placements.
During the weekend we will be taught by leaders who have led numerous expeditions and have been teaching expedition skills for over 20 years. There will be plenty of opportunities for informal networking and discussion with each other and the instructors.
The course is two days long and will start at 9.00 am on Saturday 14 April at the Benjamin Perry Boathouse in central Bristol (postcode BS1 6TJ) and end at around 16:00 on Sunday 15 April.
The boathouse has one large hall which we will be using for teaching the course, but it also has a kitchen, fridge, toilets and showers for each gender. If you bring your own mat and sleeping bag you're welcome to 'camp out' on the hall floor overnight on Saturday night for just £5 (payable on arrival)! However if you would rather have a bed for the night we can also provide a list of recommended places to stay in Bristol.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you'd like to stay on the floor of the boathouse or if you'd like a list of accommodation options.
No meals are included so you'll need to bring your own food (you can store it in the fridge at the boathouse) or cash to buy your food when you're there. There will be regular, short breaks where we'll serve coffee, tea and biscuits and then there will be longer breaks for you to go out and get something to eat.
It's probably best to at least bring your own breakfast so you don't have to worry about time constraints in the morning. There is a Co-op supermarket about 10 minutes walks from the boathouse on Redcliff Street or you might fancy going across the bridge to the harbourside. As Bristol locals we can definitely give you some recommendations for lunch and dinner!
- 2 full days’ world class teaching from experienced expedition leaders
- Regular opportunities for informal networking and discussion sessions with the leaders
- Coffee, tea and biscuits throughout the weekend
- Discounted earlybird price is just £185 for EC CLUB* Members (if £75 deposit is paid before 17 February 2018)
- Discounted earlybird price is £200 for non-CLUB Members (if £75 deposit is paid before 17 February 2018)
- Standard price is £200 for EC CLUB* Members
- Standard price is £215 for non-CLUB Members
ONLY 16 SPACES available on this course - book now to avoid disappointment!
If you'd like to know more about this weekend or have a particular question about this or any of our adventures, please email email@example.com or call the office on 0117 405 7497 during normal office hours and we'll do our best to help you.