Expedition Leadership Course 18-19 November
Join other like minded people on a 2 day course learning the hard and soft skills needed to lead expeditions and work in the the expedition industry.
The training course is designed to be a launch pad - by the end you'll have gained vital new skills and also be more informed about the next steps to take to deliver your own expeditions from start to finish. We're expecting that you'll already have an interest in and be active in the outdoors (either professionally or personally) however as for every EC adventure no particular experience is necessary, just an open mind and appetite for learning!
The course is particularly designed for:
- People who want to lead their own expeditions or overseas fieldwork projects (professionally or personally)
- Leaders who have worked in the outdoors (e.g. military or outdoor education) and want to move across into expedition work
- People who have participated in an expedition as a team member and are interested in getting to the next stage
- Anyone who wants to develop their expedition skills
The course covers the following major areas:
- Expedition planning
- Expedition leadership
- Working in the expedition industry
- Connecting to sponsors and the media
- Meeting others in your position
We'll start by learning about the theory and logistics of organising and leading an expedition and you'll be taken through all the necessary steps, from making an initial plan on paper to applying and executing your ideas actively in the field. We'll look at the main documents which make up the core of any expedition plan, such as the Risk Assessment and the Crisis Management Plan. We will also look at other essential considerations such as food and kit provisioning, and using real-life interactive demonstrations we will learn about dynamic safety management to help you keep calm when you're out in the wilderness.
The course is structured around both scenario-based and practical exercises to look at the soft skills which are vital in leading and organising expeditions. We'll examine and learn about different styles of leadership and their appropriateness to various expedition types. In addition we'll also look at making the most of opportunities in the expedition industry and go through the options for qualifications, training and placements.
During the weekend we will be joined and taught by two leaders who have both been leading expeditions and teaching expedition skills for over 20 years. There will be plenty of opportunities for informal networking and discussion with each other and the instructors.
When and where?
The course will start at 9.00 am on Saturday 18 November but we can assist in helping you find accommodation on friday and saturday night if you need it. Please email email@example.com if you'd like more info.
The course venue is in central Bristol.
- Discounted earlybird price is just £185 CLUB* Members and £200 non-CLUB Members (if £75 deposit is paid before 22 September)
- Standard price is £200 CLUB* Members and £215 non-CLUB Members (if £75 deposit paid after 22 September)
*If you haven't joined EC CLUB yet, then this is a great time to do so, it’s only £40 per year to access local events only open to CLUB members – as well as discounts on other local events, our weekend events and loads of other adventure related discounts
- 2 full days’ world class teaching from experienced expedition leaders
- Regular opportunities for informal networking and discussion sessions with the leaders
- Refreshments during the course