Bushcraft, Fire & Feast
Friday 27th - Sunday 29th April 2018
Sorry, this adventure is now fully booked! You can join the waiting list below and be automatically notified if a space becomes available.
In the tranquil setting of the Chiltern hills, spend a weekend learning everything you need to know about living in the woods - from setting up camp and making fires to foraging and cooking without cutlery... Get all the skills you need for your wild camping adventures this summer!
Most of our lives are relatively disconnected from the ancient 'hunter-gatherer' lifestyle, especially for those of us living in large built-up cities, and to be thrown unexpectedly into the wild would be an unsettling experience. How can we deal with such a situation?
Building up bushcraft and wilderness survival skills is a good starting point, whether we're going on a six-month expedition or just a weekend away wild camping. Learning to ignite and maintain a fire is essential for more remote adventures - providing warmth, light, and the means to cook food and purify water. Unfortunately, not many people can get a fire going, usually because they haven’t been shown how or had the opportunity to practice.
On this course not only will you learn how to create and maintain a successful campfire, you'll also learn camp safety, how to put up a tarpaulin and hammock with simple knots, purify water, cook on the campfire, bake bread, forage for ingredients in the wild and more!
You don’t need to have any prior practical bushcraft knowledge to attend, just come with the enthusiasm to learn and a desire to have fun outdoors!
EC adventures are informal, friendly and great fun! They're made up of singles, couples and small sets of friends with ages typically ranging from mid 20s to mid 40s but anyone over 18 years old and young at heart is welcome. Whether it's your first time exploring the outdoors or you're an adventure professional, EC adventures are a great way to meet like-minded people in a safe, welcoming and fun environment.
On Friday evening after 6pm you'll make your way to camp deep in the Chiltern woods and meet your host and bushcraft instructor David. While waiting for everyone to arrive you can sit for a bit longer round the communal campfire or you can begin to set up your sleeping arrangements - if you are borrowing a tarp and hammock David will show you how to put these up amongst the trees, or you can set up your own tent or bivvi bag if you prefer. Once everyone's sleeping options are ready you'll cook dinner and share a hot brew over the fire together and spend the rest of the evening getting to know each other.
Saturday morning will start with a shared breakfast cooked on the communal campfire, and straight afterwards you'll begin your first full day of learning! Throughout the weekend you'll be taught and get to try all of the following:
- Food preparations and cooking on campfires using different methods (all meals will be cooked on the communal campfire)
- Baking bread in different ways, roasting in a ground oven, steaming and ponassing fish, kebabs, risottos, and fry ups!
- Safe and effective use of knives and saws
- Making useful camp craft items - including whittling a spoon to eat with!
- Igniting successful campfires – fire lays and different methods, both primitive and modern styles
- Finding and making water safe to drink, improvised and use of modern products
- Natural history – identifying trees and plants, foraging for spring greens and other edibles that you'll use in meals
- Health and safety considerations in the woods
The weekend will finish around 4pm on Sunday, after which you can spend a bit more time chatting to David and help with camp set down, explore some more of the Chiltern Hills or make your way home.
We'll be camping in the Chiltern Hills, conveniently located just an hour's drive from London and about two hours from Bristol. More details on the exact location will be provided to you after you book and nearer the time.
FOOD & WATER
You'll be provided with two breakfasts, two lunches and two dinners - but please do bring your own snacks. You're more than welcome to bring your own water but we'll be near a safe water source so you'll be able to fill up when you're on site too.
Please let us know about any dietary requirements when you book so we can make sure you're catered for throughout the weekend.
Our recommended kit list for hiking clothing and equipment is HERE, however we would recommend you use this as a base for what to bring, as everyone's preferences vary! Make sure your rucksack is big enough to fit everything in as you'll have to carry it all from the car to the campsite. Also, even though we'll be camping in spring, it can get cold (and potentially wet) so waterproofs, extra layers, scarfs and hats are strongly recommended!
There are enough tarps and hammocks for everyone to sleep in over the weekend, but if you'd rather sleep on the ground please bring your own tent or bivvi bag and sleeping mat. We would also recommend a travel pillow for extra comfort!
You don't need to bring any cooking equipment unless you particularly want to use your own knives / forks / mugs / plates.
- 2 full days and one evening's instruction, lessons and guidance from a professional Bushcraft expert as part of a small group of 12 people
- 2 nights supervised wild camping in the Chiltern woods (includes camp fees)
- 2 nights use of a hammock and tarpaulin to sleep in plus help with set up
- 2 x breakfasts on Saturday and Sunday morning
- 2 x lunches on Saturday and Sunday
- 2 x dinners on Friday and Saturday night
- Your own handmade wooden spoon to use on your future adventures!
BOOK NOW to take advantage of our discounted earlybird pricing!
- Discounted Earlybird price for EC CLUB Members - £199 (if deposit paid before 2nd February 2018)
- Discounted Earlybird price for non EC CLUB Members - £214 (if deposit paid before 2 February 2018)
- Standard price for EC CLUB Members - £214
- Standard price for non EC CLUB Members - £229
You'll need to pay a £75 deposit when booking with the balance due eight weeks before the weekend.
There are ONLY 12 SPACES on this adventure so book now to avoid disappointment!
If you'd like to know more about this weekend or have a particular question about this or any of our adventures, please email email@example.com or call the office on 0117 405 7497 during normal office hours and we'll do our best to help you.