Brecon Beacons Bushcraft Course
Friday 12th - Sunday 14th April 2019
In the tranquil setting of the Brecon Beacons, spend a weekend learning everything you need to know about thriving in the woods - from setting up camp and making fires to foraging and cooking delicious fire-baked bread!
Building up bushcraft skills is a good starting point for all your adventures - whether on a six-month expedition or just a weekend away wild camping. Learning to ignite and maintain a fire is essential for more remote adventures - providing warmth, light, and the means to cook food and purify water. Not many people can actually get a fire going, usually because they haven’t been shown how or had the opportunity to practice.
On this jam-packed course not only will you learn how to create and maintain a successful campfire, you'll also learn camp safety, how to build a shelter out of natural materials, purify water, cook on a campfire, bake bread, forage for ingredients in the wild and more! You don’t need to have any prior practical bushcraft knowledge to attend, just come with the enthusiasm to learn and a desire to have fun outdoors!
EC adventures are informal, friendly and great fun! They're made up of singles, couples and small sets of friends with ages typically ranging from mid 20s to mid 40s but anyone over 18 years old and young at heart is welcome. Whether it's your first time exploring the outdoors or you're an adventure professional, EC adventures are a great way to meet like-minded people in a safe, welcoming and fun environment.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN
Over the course of the weekend, you will specifically learn:
- Safe and effective knife use, including various techniques for batoning, and cutting larger sticks, as well as finding dry heart wood for fire-lighting
- A range of fire lighting techniques and lays for different weather conditions and situations
- How to identify a range of trees and plants at various stages throughout the year, and some of their uses
- How to sleep in a shelter that you've helped build or improve
- How to set up a hammock and tarpaulin from scratch
- Safe water collection and filtration techniques
- How to make your own string out of natural materials, to create a bracelet, key ring fob, or necklace and pendant
- How to collect and brew a 'wild' tea over a fire with water you’ve collected and purified yourself
- To embrace the challenge to create fire by friction, and have the satisfaction of blowing your ember into flames.
On Friday evening after 6pm you'll make your way to basecamp in the woods and meet your bushcraft instructor Lizzy and EC host. While waiting for everyone to arrive you can sit for a bit longer round the communal campfire or you can begin to set up your sleeping arrangements. Once you're settled you can either use the fire to cook dinner and make a hot brew, or you can take a meander along the canal to a local pub for dinner.
Saturday morning will start with a campfire-cooked breakfast, and straight afterwards you'll begin your first full day of learning, ending with a tasty campfire-cooked meal. In the evening you'll be free to sit and relax around the fire or retreat to enjoy the peace of your hammock or tent. On Sunday you'll wake up to another cooked breakfast before practicing more adventure skills, try your hand at some foraging and enjoy fire-baked bread in the afternoon. The weekend will finish around 4pm on Sunday, after which you can spend a bit more time chatting to Lizzy and help with camp set down, explore some more of the Brecon Beacons or make your way home.
LOCATION & FACILITIES
The woodland we use is a short drive from Bristol, within the Brecon Beacons National Park on the outskirts of Talybont-on-Usk. It's a mixed woodland, with a stream running though it and a canal at the far end. It is connected to a working farm, and has a newly planted community orchard on site. You'll also be glad to know there is lots of free parking on site, a flushing toilet and a shower. You'll have the choice of either camping in the woods or nearer to the toilet block in a camping field, which is exclusively reserved for our group throughout the weekend.
More details on location, directions and transport options will be provided after you book and nearer the time of the course. We will also provide you with a detailed kit list nearer the time.
FOOD & WATER
Friday night's dinner is not included, but if you want to eat locally you can take a short stroll to the village where there are pubs and restaurants - or you're more than welcome to bring and cook your own food on the campfire!
You'll get two hot breakfasts and a hot dinner, and plenty of water, tea and coffee - but you'll need your own lunches for both days as well as your favourite snacks and any drinks you want. Please let us know about any dietary requirements when you book so we can make sure you're catered for.
- Two full days' instruction, lessons and guidance from professional bushcraft expert Lizzy
- Two nights' supervised wild camping in the Brecon Beacons (includes campsite and woodland use fees)
- The use of four hammocks to sleep in (allocated on a first-come first-served basis)
- Exclusive use of a camping field next to the toilet and shower block
- All specialist bushcraft equipment and tools throughout the weekend
- Two hot breakfasts on Saturday and Sunday morning
- Campfire-cooked dinner on Saturday night
- Tea, coffee and biscuits throughout the weekend
- EC Host for the weekend
BOOK NOW to take advantage of our discounted earlybird pricing!
- Discounted Earlybird price for EC CLUB Members - £199 (if booked before Friday 11th January 2019)
- Discounted Earlybird price for non EC CLUB Members - £229 (if booked before Friday 11th January 2019)
- Standard price for EC CLUB Members - £229
- Standard price for non EC CLUB Members - £244
You'll need to pay a £75 deposit when booking with the balance due by Friday 15th February 2019.
JOIN EC CLUB TODAY! EC CLUB Members enjoy great discounts on our weekends as well as lots of other adventure related deals. You'll also get exclusive access to local events and trips only open to EC CLUB Members. Find out more...
If you'd like to know more about this weekend or have a particular question about this or any of our adventures, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the office on 0117 405 7497 during normal office hours and we'll do our best to help you.