Introduction to Packrafting 8-9 July
Learn the essential skills of packrafting while completing a packrafting journey on the river Spey in Scotland. A packraft is a small, inflatable boat that packs down small enough so that you can carry it in a backpack until you reach a body of water. Then you blow up the boat, hop in, and take your adventure downstream or along the coast. They are one of the most exciting innovations in expeditions in recent years.
This weekend is designed to teach the basics of packrafting (focusing on the water-based skills) so you’ll go away with the skills and experience to allow you to go on your own adventures into the wild. Packrafting is very new to the UK so this course is unique
Over the weekend you’ll cover:
- How to carry the boats
- How to load your packraft
- Equipment selection
- Paddling techniques in both flat and moving water
- How to care for your packraft
- Reading the river – risk assessing water conditions
- Emergency procedures
The weekend has been designed as a journey and is open to those without any paddling experience.
Based out of Aviemore, over the weekend you’ll practice skills whilst on a 2 day journey on the River Spey, paddling through forests with views of the nearby mountains of the Cairngorm National Park. We’ll start out on a loch before travelling down-river, on the second day progressing to some small rapids.
If you want to take advantage of the long weekend and stay on after the course you'll be in a fantastic location with the Cairngorms on the doorstep and plenty of opportunities nearby for walking and other outdoor activities.
Travel to Aviemore is relatively straightforward with direct trains from London (both day and night options) and flights to the nearest airport, Inverness (~ 45 mins away), from many major UK cities as well as day and overnight bus routes.
Please note it is your responsibility to book accommodation and transport to Aviemore for this trip but we can advise you where to stay. There is a wide variety of accommodation available in Aviemore but we recommend booking asap as it is likely to be a busy weekend. We recommend the SYHA Aviemore.
- £249 EC CLUB Members**/£264 non-EC CLUB Members
- **If you haven't joined EC CLUB yet, then this is a great time to do so, it's only £40 per year to access local events only open to CLUB members – as well as discounts on other local events, our weekend events and loads of other adventure related discounts.
For all bookings, the balance must be paid by 27th May.
- 2 days instruction in a small group (max 1:6 staff to student ratio)
- 2 days specialist equipment hire including packraft, paddle and buoyancy aid (if you have your own packraft contact us for a discount)
Price does not include:
- Accommodation before and during the course (course starts approx 9 am Saturday morning and finishes by 5 pm Sunday)
- Food during the course
- Transport during the course – this will be arranged for but you will need to pay for it on the day (~£5pppd)
Any questions please email email@example.com
Exciting news: We have a new booking system. It will save you time by remembering all of your important details. It will also automatically recognise if you are booking during the earlybird discount period and if you are an EC CLUB Member so you'll never miss a discount.
IMPORTANT: If you purchased EC CLUB Membership on our old system then we have already created an account for you, please sign in using the email address you asked us to contact you on when you bought membership.
**If you haven't joined EC CLUB yet, then this is a great time to do so, it’s only £40 per year to access local events only open to CLUB members – as well as discounts on other local events, our weekend events and loads of other adventure related discounts.