Adventure Writing Workshop
Saturday 12th - Sunday 13th January 2019
On this bespoke two-day course, international adventure writer, broadcaster and media expert Belinda Dixon will show you how to use words to capture and communicate your adventure stories... whether big, small or anywhere in between.
Even cracking adventures can’t really be communicated without words. This hands-on workshop will see you distilling your adventures into sentences that sing. It'll cover the techniques to harness and editors' pet hates. It’ll consider what you want your words to do – whether you want brands to back you, to inspire people to join your tribe, or just evoke how utterly extraordinary your adventure is.
Whether you're a newbie writer or creative professional, this course will help you find your style... and take the leap.
EC adventures are informal, friendly and great fun! They're made up of singles, couples and small sets of friends with ages typically ranging from mid 20s to mid 40s but anyone over 18 years old and young at heart is welcome. Whether it's your first time exploring the outdoors or you're an adventure professional, EC adventures are a great way to meet like-minded people in a safe, welcoming and fun environment.
WHAT YOU'LL LEARN
- Audience – who are you writing it for, on what platform and what do you want it to do?
- Power words – those that deliver emotion or convey sensory factors
- What adventure you're doing, why, and how can you capture it
- Different ways of telling a story – narrative, jeopardy, story arcs, where to start, how to end
- Characteristic fragments
- Dialogue / quotes
- Building up a series of sentences which convey powerfully your adventure experience
- Using photos and video snippets to accompany your words
- Different writing techniques - "I" or "you"
- Magazine and web editors' tips – how to pitch and pitfalls to avoid
- Practical application, such as documenting an adventure in real-time
Sunday 13th January
9am-11am - Group review of adventure stories
11am-11.30am - Break
11:30am-12:30pm - Pointers on how to progress
12:30pm-1:30pm - Lunch
1:30pm-3:30pm (approx) - Final summary and takeaway, Q&A session
3:30pm onwards (approx) - Informal networking and wrap up
Saturday 12th January
9am-11am - Theory, group work and exercises
11am-11.30am - Break
11.30am-12.30pm - Preparation for the practical exercise
12.30pm-1.30pm - Lunch
1.30pm-5pm (approx) - Practical exercise and group recap
5pm onwards - Informal writing and social time
LOCATION, FOOD AND DRINK
The course will be held at Eastwinds Activity Centre in central Bristol. We have access to a large hall which we will be using for teaching the course, but it also has a fully equipped kitchen, fridge, freezer, toilets, a shower, outdoor garden area and access to the woods! If you bring your own mat and sleeping bag you're welcome to 'camp out' in the hall or garden on Saturday night, however if you would rather have a bed we can provide some recommended places to stay (please email firstname.lastname@example.org for a list).
We'll provide tea, coffee, biscuits and cake throughout the course, but we're not providing any meals. The venue is close to a few takeaway restaurants, a Coop supermarket and Beese's Riverside bar, or you may prefer to bring your own food.
- Two full days of expert writing and communication tuition from Belinda Dixon, specifically relevant to the adventure industry
- Opportunities for informal networking and discussion sessions with Belinda
- Exclusive use of the Eastwinds Activity Centre throughout the weekend and overnight, including the surrounding garden and woodlands
- Coffee, tea, biscuits and cake throughout the weekend
DATES AND PRICES
This course runs from Saturday 12th to Sunday 13th January, 2019.
BOOK NOW to take advantage of our discounted earlybird pricing!
- Discounted Earlybird price for EC CLUB Members - £149 (if booked before Friday 12th October 2018)
- Discounted Earlybird price for non EC CLUB Members - £164 (if booked before Friday 12th October 2018)
- Standard price for EC CLUB Members - £164
- Standard price for non EC CLUB Members - £179
To book you'll need to pay a £75 deposit with the remaining balance due by Monday 12th November 2018.
JOIN EC CLUB TODAY! EC CLUB Members enjoy great discounts on our weekends as well as lots of other adventure related deals. You'll also get exclusive access to local events and trips only open to EC CLUB Members. Find out more...
If you'd like to know more about this weekend or have a particular question about this or any of our adventures, please email email@example.com or call the office on 0117 405 7497 during normal office hours and we'll do our best to help you.