Adventure Photography Course
Friday 19th - Sunday 21st October 2018
On this 2.5 day skills-based course deep in the heart of the New Forest, in a small group you'll be taught by two professional photographers every aspect of adventure photography, from journalism, travel and outdoor sports to product and outdoor commercial photography.
All photos copyright Philip Banfield
The course is suitable for photographers of all ages and skill levels, although a basic understanding of your camera would really help you get the most out of the practical sessions. With a small group size of just 12 and led by two qualified and experienced professional adventure photographers you'll be able to get personal feedback on your work throughout the course.
You'll have a chance to get involved in loads of practical exercises using the camera in the field and also have an evening session to discuss the images taken by the group. The course will have three main themes - the photography, the planning, and the practical - which will be discussed through the weekend starting on Friday evening.
1. The Photography
To take great photos you need to understand a few technical bits, once mastered this will improve your confidence by taking the fear out and putting the fun in! We will take you through the fundamentals of photography including:
- Camera anatomy - understand the settings and controls on your digital camera.
- Camera functions - how the different settings affect the photographs you take, including ISO, Exposure & Aperture, Image Quality.
- Composition – to understand how to find order in disorder, build structure and create dramatic adventure photographs.
- Light - to learn the basics of harnessing natural light or light sources to the best effect to create the image or shoot the activity that you want to capture.
- Post processing - to learn the basics of the lightroom for basic image editing and storage.
2. The Planning
There are many things you can’t plan; the majority of great photos are a combination of luck and knowledge combined. To create these shots comes from the ability to predict, that can only come from research and a dash of luck! We'll help you:
- Tell your story – we will help develop your style and your story, we will shift you from taking a snap to thinking about what you want to create, whether it be a dramatic magazine shot, or a photograph that tells a story. We will help you look at the image you want to create through both a journalistic, documentary-style approach and a moment in time epic adventure shot.
- Take the right kit - from minimalist kit on those extreme expeditions where you travel need to light with a single lens and one body to a trip with various subject matters where more kit will be needed. We will help you to plan what gear to take on your shoot, considering the merits of camera of choice from camera phone, bridge to DSLR. We will also look at batteries, memory cards and filters.
- Find the right bag – now that we have helped you decide which gadgets to take with you on your journey, we will take you through the best ways to care for and carry your precious kit.
- Determine the conditions – what local conditions do you need to be aware of, from weather, temperature, tides, sunsets, to local customs and laws, these need to be considered to get the most out of your photo adventure.
3. The Practical
Now that you understand your equipment and have planned what you want to see, capture and convey, nothing replaces being out in the field in the great outdoors. We'll cover:
- Navigation: using maps to ensure you can get access to the places you need to get to. We will help you use a map to consider the local terrain to help with your location planning and access.
- Observation - using your planning work to ensure you observe and capture the images that you desire.
- Adventure activities – we will have the opportunity to shoot an activity taking place on location in the field, most likely to be some mountain biking!
- Getting out there - most of all we want to equip you with the confidence and motivation to get out there, your adventure portfolio will only consist of amazing images if you get up, get outside, do something, and photograph it.
This is a very practical course designed to getting you photographing outdoors as much as possible so be prepared for some hiking in the woods and possibly along the coast too! If you've never come on an EC Adventure before, they're informal, friendly and great fun. We generally have singles, couples and small sets of friends coming along, from complete beginners to adventure professionals. Ages tend to range between mid 20s and mid 40s but anyone over 18 years old and young at heart is welcome. What we all share is a love for adventure!
- From 7pm Friday night - Introduction and course overview
- Saturday morning – Technical & Planning Session
- Saturday afternoon – Photography Field Practical
- Saturday evening – Group session reviewing photographs of the day and reflecting on learnings
- Sunday morning – Photography Field Practical
- Sunday afternoon – Photography Field Practical
- 5pm Sunday afternoon – departure
We will be staying in our own private, cosy lodge in the grounds of Avon Tyrrell Activity Centre in the South-west area of the New Forest. Sleeping 14 people in twins and bunk bedrooms, it is surrounded by peaceful woodland and has a shared open plan lounge area where we can all sit together for the workshop sessions and share meals. With regards to bedding, each bed at the lodge comes with a mattress protector, a pillow and a duvet but please bring your own sheets, pillow cases and duvet covers.
Our recommended kit list for hiking weekends is a good basis to help you know what to bring clothing-wise, which is available to download HERE. As it will be October and you'll be outdoors most of the time it is a good idea to bring extra layers as well.
Please note as this is a photography course you'll also need to bring:
- Your own digital camera, lenses, filters, tripods, camera bag, memory cards, battery charger (and any other accessories)
- Snacks and flask (to carry a hot drink) for when you're out on practical field sessions.
- 2 full days and an evening of technical adventure photography tuition with two professional adventure photographers.
- 2 night's accommodation in a cosy lodge in the leafy grounds of the New Forest
- 2 x breakfast on Saturday and Sunday morning
- 1 x home-cooked dinner on Saturday night
- EC Host for the weekend
- Discounted earlybird price for EC CLUB Members - £249 (if deposit is paid before Friday 27th July 2018)
- Discounted earlybird price for non EC CLUB Members - £264 (if booked and paid before Friday 27th July 2018)
- Standard price for EC CLUB Members - £264
- Standard price for non EC CLUB Members - £279
You'll need to pay a £100 deposit to secure your place with the remaining balance due eight weeks before the course.
There are ONLY 11 SPACES on this course so book now to avoid disappointment!
If you'd like to know more about this weekend or have a particular question about this or any of our adventures, please email email@example.com or call the office on 0117 405 7497 during normal office hours and we'll do our best to help you.