Adventure and Expedition Medicine Course
Saturday 16th - Sunday 17th February 2018
On this special two-day course, international paramedic and expedition leader Luca Alfatti will teach you everything you need to know about First Aid in remote and extreme locations around the world, from jungle and desert to the polar regions.
If you're just looking for a standard ITC Level 3 First Aid course, have a look at our Outdoor First Aid Training Course.
In a split second an adventure can become a race against time to save a life. A snake bite in the jungle, a fall from height climbing, an insect-borne disease on expedition, a cardiac arrest sailing off-shore, hyperthermia in the desert, head injuries on the ski slopes, a fin laceration surfing, a pelvic fracture mountain biking. All of these incidents happen in environments that are considered remote, where emergency services may be delayed reaching a casualty. You might be someone’s best chance of survival - would you know what to do?
This course was developed to respond to the growing need for dynamic, challenging, and clinically-sound first aid courses specifically designed for people participating in an adventurous lifestyle, at home or overseas. Written and taught by qualified medics, the course is certified by Rapid Response Adventure Medicine (RRAM) and the U.K Society of Extreme, Expedition and Wilderness Medicine who is a leading authority in remote pre-hospital emergency care. Taught only by qualified health care professionals with expedition medicine experience, you'll have the reassurance of learning skills directly from people already working in the field.
The qualification certificate from the course will be valid for two years and will state that you have met the requirements for either ITC Level 4 Advanced Outdoor First Aid (when you produce a relevant First Aid certificate and/or provide evidence of relevant First Aid experience completed prior to the date of this certificate) or that you have met requirements for ITC Level 3 Outdoor First Aid, and can therefore be used to validate Mountain Training Association Awards. The course is also compliant with 2015 Resuscitation Council Guidelines (UK), European Resuscitation Guidelines and European First Aid Guidelines.
On this action-packed weekend you'll get:
- Pre-course reading and workbooks so you arrive with a base level of knowledge and understanding to build upon
- Real-time scenarios where the medic will play a live casualty so you can apply your knowledge practically in real-time to increase decision making skills under stress both solo and as part of a team, enhancing confidence to take control, delegate tasks or administer treatment, and so you can recognise your clinical parameters
- Lectures that are thought-provoking, educational and informative, applicable to outdoor environments
- Practical and medical kit application for hands-on experience solo and as part of a team
- Informal Q&A sessions to allow you to ask questions specifically tailored to you
- Assessments to evoke questions, encourage learning and instil best practice
- An Adventure and Expedition Medicine qualification and certificate valid for two years, an I.D. badge and registration on the RRAM First Aid database
Whether you're a First Aid novice, outdoor enthusiast or seasoned expedition leader, you'll come away with in-depth and practical knowledge on how to deal with any medical situation across a whole range of remote and extreme environments - this is not one to miss.
The course is certified as 32 hours, made up of 14 hours of pre-reading and 18 hours of contact time with Luca. A few months before the course, you will be provided with booklets containing the reading material. We recommend you schedule in a good chunk of time for the reading as this will make the course itself a lot easier to follow and enjoy on the weekend.
You can download the itinerary for the weekend below (please note the times and order of the lectures may change):
LOCATION AND FOOD
The course is two days long and will be held at Eastwinds Activity Centre in central Bristol (postcode BS4 4DY). You can park in the centre grounds or in an adjacent side street (more details will be provided closer to the time).
We have access to a large hall which we will be using for teaching the course, but it also has a fully equipped kitchen, fridge, freezer, toilets, a shower, outdoor garden area and access to the woods! If you bring your own mat and sleeping bag you're welcome to 'camp out' in the hall or garden on Saturday night, however if you would rather have a bed we can provide some recommended places to stay (please email firstname.lastname@example.org for a list).
We'll provide tea, coffee, biscuits and cake throughout the course, but we're not providing any meals. The venue is close to a few takeaway restaurants, a Coop supermarket and Beese's Riverside bar, or you may prefer to bring your own food.
- Two full days' (18 hours) adventure and expedition medicine tuition by international paramedic and expedition leader Luca Alfatti
- All specialist equipment for the course
- Course pre-reading material (approximately 14 hours) sent out to you before the course
- Exclusive use of the Eastwinds Activity Centre throughout the weekend and overnight, including the surrounding garden and woodlands
- Coffee, tea, biscuits and cake throughout the weekend
- Regular breaks and opportunities for discussion and networking with the course leader Luca
- Adventure and Expedition Medicine Certificate, valid for two years and equivalent to ITC Level 3 or ITC Level 4 First Aid qualifications (depending on existing qualifications)
- I.D. badge stating you as RRAM First Aid Trained (provided after the course)
- Optional registration on the RRAM First Aid database as a qualified course graduate (validated after certificate issue)
DATES AND PRICES
This course runs from Saturday 16th to Sunday 17th February, 2019.
BOOK NOW to take advantage of our discounted earlybird pricing!
- Discounted Earlybird price for EC CLUB Members - £219 (if booked before Friday 16th November 2018)
- Discounted Earlybird price for non EC CLUB Members - £234 (if booked before Friday 16th November 2018)
- Standard price for EC CLUB Members - £234
- Standard price for non EC CLUB Members - £249
To book you'll need to pay a £100 deposit with the remaining balance due by Friday 14th December 2018. There are only 15 spaces so book now to avoid disappointment!
JOIN EC CLUB TODAY! EC CLUB Members enjoy great discounts on our weekends as well as lots of other adventure related deals. You'll also get exclusive access to local events and trips only open to EC CLUB Members. Find out more...
If you'd like to know more about this weekend or have a particular question about this or any of our adventures, please email email@example.com or call the office on 0117 405 7497 during normal office hours and we'll do our best to help you.